Friday, August 31, 2012

The 52-Week Challenge…and Why You Should Join in Too!



“Accountability breeds response-ability.” -Stephen R. Covey


Since I’ve been blogging, I look at several other blogs, which I think are good, in the hopes of one day being a better blogger with a good following.  One of my faves so far is www.thisisyourconscience.com. Lincoln, the author, is funny, smart and has some of the most interesting topics on various subject matters. So last night, I’m browsing and come across a 52-week challenge that he proposed to himself and his readers and it was right on time…

 
The Challenge:
“The pledge is simple – but the challenge is NOT. I want everyone willing to be a part of this endeavor to swear RIGHT NOW (not tomorrow, not tonight after your meeting, or next week after your schedule at work/school is less hectic) that you will spend the next 52 weeks relentlessly chasing your dream.”

Each Wednesday of the next 52 weeks, every single ONE of us must state ONE important and necessary thing we did in the past 7 days to make our dream a reality. Our accountability partner(s) will then ask us the following:

1.      How did your actions bring you closer to your goal?

2.      Did you HONESTLY do everything in your power to progress your dreams this past week?

3.      How could you have done more?

4.      What is your plan to progress your goals in the next 7 days?
 

See, two nights ago I was complaining because I came from my Spanish “intercambio” and was frustrated that I wasn’t learning as much as I wanted. Unfortunately, I had no one to fault but myself. Then I got pissed off about this extra weight I’m carrying and again no one to fault but myself. So I accepted the challenge, hoping that is makes me accountable and work on achieving goals that I have been too lazy or unmotivated to reach on my own. I had two goals when I read the article, but after reading other people’s list, I decided to add on to mine.

Here is my list of things to actively work on for the next 52 weeks:

1. I pledge to be at my ideal weight, by working out at least 3 times a week.

2. I pledge to be fluent in Spanish, by actively working on it for the rest of my 4 months in Costa Rica.

3. I pledge to take my love of photography seriously by investing in a good camera and enrolling in a class.

4. I pledge to have the option to retire by 40 by eliminating my student loan debt and mortgage payments.

In deciding to take on this challenge, I’m sure many of my family and friends also have goals they want to accomplish. It can be anything such as taking a yearly vacation, reaching a weight loss goal, finishing a degree, becoming a better wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, becoming a better parent or paying off debt.  You can set any goal, even if it takes longer than 52 weeks to reach!

The purpose is to actively work on reaching your goals and being held accountable by others, who want you to achieve that goal. So I’m encouraging others to join the challenge with me. List your goals in the comments section and choose others that you will hold accountable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment