Monday, August 6, 2012

Black Girl in a Different World

“Thankfulness is the soil from where joy grows.” -Unknown

I wake up every morning to the sun shining and a tropical oasis outside my window.  I can walk out of the house and have my pick of fresh fruit off the tree: mango, limes, star fruit or whatever I can reach. More importantly the walk to a beautiful white sand beach is only 5 minutes away and I can choose which one to visit because there are several nearby. I’ve been in Costa Rica for almost two weeks now and while at first glance it looks like paradise there are definitely some things I have to get used to.

No AC
The average temperature is 82 degrees, yet being so close to the equator makes it feel a lot hotter…something like what I suppose hell feels like.  I often feel like I’m the only one sweating or at least the only one complaining about it. Your best bet is to sit in front of a fan, but we know that just helps circulate more hot air. Not even a window unit in sight. A few days ago I rode in a car with air conditioning and I thought I had won the lottery!

Dirt Roads
I have lived in the south and even played outside everyday as a kid, but I have never seen this much dirt and dust on my body before. Not even riding ATVs through mud in Jamaica resulted in this level of dirt.  From my knees down is a totally different color from the dust. Whenever I feel ashamed I just look at everyone else and realize this is normal here.

Cold Showers
Now with it feeling like hell and all one would think that a cold shower would be refreshing…WRONG!!! No matter how hot I am, my body goes into shock every time! Luckily this exfoliating body wash makes me feel clean because I refuse to stick my whole body underneath the shower head. Maybe an arm or leg, but never the whole body. I settle for saturating my wash rag fifty million times. Not to mention with the amount of sweat and dirt that you accumulate throughout the day requires taking several showers: No Bueno.

So thankful for the small things, that bring joy to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment