Thursday, August 30, 2012

Why is Costa Rica Hating on My Hair???



"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again." -William Edward Hickson

Coming to Costa Rica I thought my “pelo natural” would be in heaven because of all this heat and humidity.  Boy was I wrong!  Costa Rica and I have been in a constant fight since I’ve gotten here and I think Costa Rica is winning. Every day poses a new hair challenge, whether my hair decides to shrink and hide, be consistently dirty and dusty or rain after I actually take time to put it in a style. I’ve spent countless hours searching on the Natural Hair group on facebook and looking on Youtube for “ayuda”… and hope! I’ve even put in an emergency shipment with my roommates for some products hoping it will help. SN: Shame on my roommate Neli, who told me not to bring Jessica2 (my wig); we would be best friends right now!

A couple weeks ago I braided my hair in some plaits or “Celie” braids as I call them; yes after Celie on The Color Purple. I left them in for 5 days and just pinned them back into different styles. In the States, I usually do this at night and have a cute braid out the next day, but deciding to be lazy and hoping for definition left them in. When I took them out my hair looked like “basura caliente”! I mean my hair had absolutely NO definition. All of the volunteers thought it was cute, but of course I knew better…

For my next experiment, I did a style with two strand twists and to my surprise it came out cute! However, a style that would have been cute and lasted a week did not hold up so well.  After 3 days it started to look kind of raggedy and I should have retwisted some of them again. Nevertheless I kept it in almost a week, NOT because it was cute, but out of sheer laziness.

My latest trial is to rinse my hair with conditioner, put in a leave-in conditioner, apply coconut oil to my ends and then some curling smoothie to my entire head.  I then put my hair in 3 ponytails to stretch it. While my hair is soft, the attempt was another FAIL at cuteness and ended up in a pulled back afro.

One day Costa Rica will not be a hater…one day while I’m here my hair will be cute …

1 comment:

  1. Hey there!! My name is Candice. Im a natural girl too, living in the central valley teaching English! I came across your blog because I was searching for braiding places near by! Im doing ok at the moment with products and stuff that I brought from home but I just want something different and really Im just over it! lol.. Im not sure exactly where you are but you wouldnt happen to have heard of anywhere that does like extension braids would you??

    ReplyDelete