Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The "Shriveled/Puffy/Today is Not the Day" Look

Wednesday- When I left DC more than a week ago my newly twisted hair was cute and bouncy and hanging to my shoulders.  I had plans to keep this protective style in for 3 weeks. By the end of Day 1 in Playa Potrero it had a mind of its own. I call it the “shriveled/puffy/today is not the day look.” The length had retracted to my scalp from the combination of heat, sweat, and the surprise rain shower as I walked to the office. The twists were limp and lifeless. And the look that was cute, was not quite there anymore; less “lindo” and more “mal”. How can this style last me at least 3 weeks, when I’m over here looking like buckwheat’s mama??? Natural hair is no joke especially when it’s as thick, coarse, and as kinky as mine.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. To leave it, attempt to style it differently, or give up on it and try a whole new complete style?

Saturday- So I decided to keep the twist in…and a wreck I do look! Part of me says hey “pura vida” because I’m not trying to impress anyone on this journey, but the other hand says I’m looking “muy loca” because these twist are every which way and being the only Black person here, I need to be a better representation. I mean it’s frizzy and will not lay right no matter which style I put it in.  I know some of the volunteers think this is normal for Black girls, but I really feel shamed some days.

Tonight I’m putting my hair in bantu knots and will keep them in until Monday. Hoping this turns out better and looks less frizzy because if not Monday night this hair will be washed, put in some celie braids so the ‘fro can be rocked!

 (awesome sunset, bad hair...my face says it all)
Sunday- My bantu knots didn’t last until Monday, but I took them out and feel “mucho, mucho bueno” about the cute curly ‘fro it turned into. Gonna keep this for a few days then do a twist out which will hopefully make it fuller and cuter. Hair is in need of a good wash and deep conditioning. Thank God I brought a suitcase full of products because I’m surely in need of some TLC for my hair…


(looking and feeling better about myself)

No comments:

Post a Comment