Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I’m Not ‘Bout This Life: City Girl in the Jungle


The dance of the palm trees, the oceans calling, the first rays of sun and heaven is here. ~Mike Dolan

 
Today makes 3 weeks since I have arrived in Costa Rica! Whew time sure does fly! No matter how long I’m here, I just can’t see myself getting used to the wildlife in Costa Rica. For example, have you ever had a howler monkey throw mangos at you as you walk by or heard the monkey’s howl that made you stop in your tracks? Ever seen a toad that is bigger than a softball or heard iguanas scratching on your roof? Ever had a swarm of sand flies eating you alive like you are a free meal at the Golden Corral, while trying to watch the sunset on the beach? Ever seen packs of friendly stray dogs that come up to you and want to be your friend? Have you ever watched geckos playing tag on your walls or felt micro ants (that’s what I call them) on your skin, but couldn’t see them? If so, you probably lived in Costa Rica!

Howler monkey


Iguanas in my backyard
I’ve never been one to be OCD on my house being spotless, but I don’t have a choice here unless I want all of the jungle outside to come in. Since living in my own “casita”, I have had many more experiences with the wildlife of Costa Rica; I literally moved into the jungle! The property is surrounded by coconut, mango, banana, and lime trees, which means more animals. I now live with iguanas, chickens, huge toads, raccoons, various sized ants, crabs, and a dog.

Stray dogs on the beach



A gecko
My main concern is usually the micro ants because they are EVERYWHERE! They are teeny tiny barely visible ants that move “muy rápido”! You have to look closely to see them, but regret looking when you see them. Just today I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I walked three feet to the sink and when I got back there was a micro ant on my plate trying to get my PB&J. Now mind you I paid $9 for that peanut butter yesterday, so I was not sharing! At some point every day I can feel one of the ants on my arms even when I can’t see it. I just try to swipe it off as fast as possible, but it’s annoying.


THE Crab!
My newest concern are the crabs or “cangrejos”. I remember when I moved into my “casita” I was so excited because I could hear the waves from the ocean in my bedroom and smell the salt water. Being a girl from the Jersey Shore I was excited and this reminded me a little bit of home. However, never in my whole life would I expect a crab to walk into my room! My first reaction was a curse word, followed by wondering how this crab got into my house with the house door and bedroom door closed, and lastly how the hell was I going to get it out. I was literally in shock for a long time, but after a long fought battle, with heavy sweating, I was the winner and the crab was dead and outside. The crab won the war though because I couldn’t get to sleep that night until 5am; jumping at every little thing I thought moved. 

God only knows how I will last 4 more months in the jungle…



1 comment: